PTA Treasurers play a crucial role in maintaining the health of the organization. This guide shares best practices for budgeting, banking and conducting a PTA audit, with specialized information on contracts, incorporation, insurance and federal tax requirements.
PTA Finance 101
Be sure to tackle your role using Your First 30 Days as a Treasurer as a guide, then delve into the particulars of finance in this section.
See PTA’s Finance Templates, Tools & Resources
Congrats and thank you for taking on this important role for your PTA! PTA Treasurers play a crucial role in maintaining the health of the organization.
This guide shares best practices for budgeting, banking and conducting a PTA audit, with specialized information on contracts, incorporation, insurance and federal tax requirements.
Key Strategies for Smart Money Management
- Keep PTA funds separate. PTA funds should never be deposited into a personal account, school account or the account of any other organization or group.
- Get help. Effective financial management requires support from many leaders and members, including finance, budget and audit/internal review committees.
- Put proper financial procedures in place to help protect your PTA from theft and fraud.
Templates, Tools, & Resources
These basic finance tools and templates are designed to help a PTA president or treasurer navigate the intricacies and law surrounding fiscal responsibilities.
Note that additional resources pertaining to fundraising or grants will be found in the Fundraising Templates, Tools & Resources section.
Finance Links, Videos, and E-Learning
Effective Nonprofit Management featuring National PTA Secretary Treasurer Donald Dunn (~3 minutes).
Local PTA Budget Basics: This e-Learning course will provide you with a short guide to specific budgetary duties and responsibilities that are needed to fulfill the requirements of a local PTA (~10 minutes).
Local PTA 501c3 Compliance Basics: Designed to help local PTAs navigate the revocation process and help maintain their 501(c)(3) status (~10 minutes).
Preventing Theft in Your PTA: Learn how to detect theft in your PTAs and what to do if you suspect it is happening (~30 minutes).
Downloadable Finance Tools
- Sample Budget (Excel)
- Sample Annual Report (Excel)
- Sample Monthly Treasurer Report (Excel)
- Sample Financial Review Form (Excel)
- Cash Counting Sheet for Events
- Sample Receipt Forms for Fundraising
- Sample Credit Card Policy
- Sample Records Retention Schedule
- Fraud Prevention Checklist
- E-Banking Best Practices (Updated Version Coming Soon)
- Instructions: IRS Form 990-N
- Control of Funds: Letter from National PTA Legal Counsel
- Sunshine Funds: Guidelines for Support in Times of Crisis
- Before Leaving Office Checklist